Thursday 17 September 2015

Make your rented house your home: part 1


Since starting uni three years ago, the move back to Bristol after a holiday is something I always look forward to. Firstly because I love the independence of managing my own life but also because a new year means a new house which means a new room. A new room signals my transformation into a colour-scheme obsessed, DIY addicted maniac. I have spent the last few days roping my housemates in to helping me realise my latest 'visions' and raving about how much I'm going to spend in Fabric World.

All this aside, I have come up with a set of simple DIYs that can be done in student housing, on a low budget, to help you get the look you've always wanted. Living in rented accomodation doesn't have to mean you can't make the place your own and, before I post specific DIYs, I have a couple of tips to get you started. 

1) Choose a colour scheme - I tend to pick a three colour palette minimum because that gives you more flexibility, Look at the colour of your walls, your furniture (all the things you can't change) and try and base it around that. My room is magnolia with high ceilings and dark wood furnishings so I've gone for a red, white and gold colour scheme to try and bring some warmth. Have you got lots of natural light? If yes you can pull off the brighter colours but with smaller windows stick to colder palettes like turquoise, teal and mint green. 

2) Take care of the furniture - Upon moving into my new student room, I was thrilled to find a large wooden wardrobe but somewhat less thrilled to find it covered in sticker residue from the last tenant (obviously trying and failing to undo the mess they made). It turns out all you need is white wine vinegar, a cloth and an open window because my god it stinks. (n.b. always test the vinegar on a part of the furniture before using it as a removal method, it's very rare for it to stain but best to check first!) Put the vinegar on the cloth and hold it against the sticker/residue until the area is saturated. Then using your finger nails or a soft plastic spatula gently rub at the sticker until it comes off. Depending on how long it's been on there - the wood underneath may be a different colour to what's exposed. Wood varnish can help minimise the effects or, like me, you can embrace the shabby-chic look that mismatched wood gives to a room. 



3) Walls - what style have you got? If, like me, you have wood chip then you can get away with push pins without leaving a noticeable mark. This obviously makes decorating much easier and more flexible. However, even if you have matte paint you can use white tack to avoid staining and wall paper rips. When removing it, don't pull from the wall but rub it gently with your finger tips until the whole bunch comes off together. 

Take a look at these factors, arm yourself with paint, sandpaper and washi tape (once you try it you'll never go back) and then join me on a quest to attain your creative vision. Invite Force your flatmates to join; I'm sure they'll love it as much as mine did... Have you got any tips to get a room ready for decorating? Any colour scheme ideas or helpful hints? I'd love to read them in comments!

With love,

Kati


No comments:

Post a Comment