Tuesday 13 October 2015

The rather silly thing I did...

Having run my Etsy business for over a year now, I had begun to think of myself as a bit of a dab hand. Last Christmas, my first one, proved a massive shock in order volume and I found myself frantically rushing to Wilko to buy bubble wrap and leaving dubious notes on the oven saying 'back in an hour, don't take them out'.



All in all, it was a bit of a shambles.

Not this year, I told myself. This year I am going to be prepared. And it was that thought that led me to a decision that has left me a laughing stock.
My warning to all of you: know your proportions before you order online.

Being British and therefore somewhat backwards I tend to work in feet rather than metres. I always order my boxes online and, with more orders going to America and knowing that parcels don't always get handled as carefully as they could be, I figured why not bulk order bubble wrap too. I found an Ebay seller and in a couple of clicks I had spent £14.79 on packaging materials. With hindsight, I probably should have realised  that this was quite a lot of money: clearly my ineptness for conversions extends to finances.

Having completely forgotten I'd ordered it I was slightly disgruntled when the doorbell was rung by the deliveryman at 9am. It was only when I opened the front door and saw him holding a box large enough to carry a crouching man that I realised something had gone horribly wrong.



50 metres of bubble wrap is a lot of bubble wrap. And I mean A LOT. I think I now have sufficient packaging material to wrap everything I own twice and maybe outline the perimeter of my flat for good measure. My flatmates (both engineering students, WHY didn't I ask for their help in the first place?!) decided this was the funniest thing they'd ever seen but at least helped me stuff the monstrosity in my wardrobe.


It's safe to say that I think I now have enough bubble wrap, and have given my friends enough to mock me about, for the rest of my natural life. All in a day's work. 


With love,

Kati



No comments:

Post a Comment