Sunday 4 October 2015

Too poor for a scratch map...



If there's one thing I have learnt during my three years living in student housing, it's that a couple of touches can make all the difference. With just a sheet of patterned paper, push pins and string you can create your very own vintage style wall map. You can mark it with places you've been or places you'd love to go and create a homely touch for less than a fiver.

Interested? Alright let's have a run through.

First things first get yourself a map. Mine is just a sheet of wrapping paper from Paperchase but I know that there are some beautiful vintage maps on Etsy if you want a more individual touch. In terms of fixing it to the wall, I swear by white tack as it's easy to get off and doesn't leave stains.

Once your map is on the wall it's time to get pinning! Now, if you don't feel comfortable putting pins in the wall an alternative is to use craft pegs. You can buy these at Wilkinsons, Paperchase or online. If you are using pegs simply fasten your map to the wall, apply tack or glue dots to the backs of your pegs and stick them as you please. I chose to focus my map on countries I had visited so stuck pins into the relevant areas.



Once your pins/pegs are in place, it's time to attach the string. Tie the end of the string around the base of the pin (or clip into the peg if that's the method you're using), unwind it and create a line from the pin, across the map and onto the wall. Cut the string at your desired length bearing in mind that a notecard will be attached to the end of it.


Repeat this process for all the pins. There is no need to be very precise in the lengths; you can always cut them shorter or start again if need be.

Once you have cut all the strings it is time to make the notecards! How you do this is completely up to you; I used plain A4 paper cut into small rectangles with red fine liner text. I chose to write the name of the country and the dates I was there but you can always write the people you went with, a favourite memory: whatever appeals to you!

Once the notecards are complete place a blob of white tack on the back of each one. Pull the string on the relevant pin taut, place the notecard over the top of the end and press down hard. Repeat this process on all the strings, feel free to trim the strings as you go if you're not getting the look you want, and you're done.



It's a quick and easy craft project which brightens up any student room. Have you got any DIY suggestions? Any quick and cheap ways to make your room more homely? I'd love to hear about them in comments!

With love,

Kati



1 comment:

  1. Scratch Maps are always great tool for Travel lovers. I am using my Scratch Off Map which I bought some time ago from an Amazon Store.

    ReplyDelete